Progress Conference | Johannesburg | 17th September
Professor Robert S. Kaplan, Strategist
Co-designer of the Balanced Scorecard & Ranked in the Thinkers50 – the definitive listing of the world’s top business thinkers.
Don’t miss this incredible opportunity to spend a day with one of the world’s top 10 educators and advisors to the management profession.
The BRG Progress Conference, in partnership with the Gordon Institute of Business Science will be hosting Harvard Business School Professor, Robert Kaplan Live in Johannesburg on 17th September.
In 2012 this event sold out, with over 500 executives and managers from the Private and Public Sectors participating. They were unanimous in their feedback which acknowledged his genius in delivering a content rich, highly relevant and insightful full day programme.
In this 2015 event, Kaplan shares his latest findings and techniques on strategy execution, balancing risk, finance, people and projects for execution success along with a new framework to manage the multiple dimensions of enterprise risk.
Professor Robert Kaplan is the number one expert on aligning measurement and management systems to strategy execution. Kaplan, along with David Norton, created “The Balanced Scorecard” more than 20 years ago and it has now become the premier management tool for strategy execution as described in his most recent book, “The Execution Premium: Linking Strategy to Operations for Competitive Advantage.” Since publication of this book, he has extended its reach further into an integrated risk management approach and a framework for co-creating and delivering a shared value strategy that simultaneously delivers economic, environmental and community performance. He has also introduced “Activity Based Costing” to correct the deficiencies of traditional standard costing systems.
Kaplan is also currently collaborating with his Harvard Business School colleague, Professor Michael Porter, the world’s most influential authority on strategy and competitiveness, to transform the health care industry by introducing accurate measurements of outcomes and costs. Their work was featured as the lead article in September 2011 Harvard Business Review, “How to solve the cost crisis in health care.” They are currently helping organizations around the world to implement their innovative approach.
Professor Robert Kaplan | BIOGRAPHY
Harvard Business School Professor, Board Executive, Bestselling Author, Speaker & Executive Advisor.
Ranked in the Thinkers 50 Hall of Fame for his Lifetime Contribution to the Management & Accounting Profession
Prof. Robert Kaplan is the Baker Foundation Professor at Harvard Business School. He joined the HBS faculty in 1984 after spending 16 years on the faculty of the business school at Carnegie-Mellon University, where he served as Dean from 1977 – 1983. Kaplan received a B.S. and M.S. in Electrical Engineering from M.I.T., and a Ph.D. in Operations Research from Cornell University. He has received honorary doctorates from the Universities of Stuttgart, Lodz and Waterloo.
Ranked by Thinkers 50 as one of the World’s Most Influential Business Thinkers
Professor Kaplan together with Dave Norton has been honoured by Thinkers 50 along with Harvard Business Professor Chris Argyris, Kenichi Ohmae, Tom Peters, Henry Mintzberg, Philip Kotler, Howard Gardner, Charles Handy, Ikujiro Nonaka and Warren Bennis. He is currently collaborating with his Harvard colleague, Professor Michael Porter on measuring the cost of delivering healthcare and linking patient costs to outcomes.
Prolific Best Selling Author, International Speaker & Executive Educator
Kaplan was co-creator of both Activity Based Costing and the Balanced Scorecard. He has authored and co-authored 14 books and more than 150 papers, including 23 in Harvard Business Review. His 5th book co-authored with Dave Norton, STRATEGY MAPS, was named as one of the top 10 business books by Strategy & Business and amazon.com. THE STRATEGY-FOCUSED ORGANISATION was named by Cap Gemini Ernst & Young as the best international business book of 2000. THE BALANCED SCORECARD has been translated into 24 languages and won the 2001 Wildman Medal from the American Accounting Association for Management and RELEVANCE LOST: THE RISE AND FALL OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING received the American Accounting Association Seminal Contributions to Literature Award in 2007.
Widely Evidenced Success for Strategy Execution by both the Private & Public Sectors
The success of Professor Kaplan’s Strategy Execution Model is evidenced with case studies that have used strategy maps and scorecards to achieve breakthrough results for shareholders, citizens and constituents. These are just a few of the companies who acknowledge the Balanced Scorecard as a key success factor and feature in the Palladium Balanced Scorecard Hall of Fame for Executing Strategy. Cisco | Ricoh | Siemens | HSBC | Volkswagen | Hilton Hotels | Merck | HSBC | Infosys | Canon | Mobil | Best Buy | Motorola | Boehringer Ingelheim | Dupont | LG Phillips | Volvo | Wendy’s | Saatchi & Saatchi | Tata Motors | Datacraft | University of Leeds | UPS
Lifetime Contributor to the Management Accounting Profession and to Education in Accounting
- Regularly ranked among the Top 20 Business Thinkers in the world.
- Ranked in the top 20 business writers and speakers including: The Most Influential Thinkers | HR Magazine November 2011.
- 1988 – Prof Robert Kaplan received the outstanding educator award from the American Accounting Association.
- 2006 – Elected to the Accounting Hall of Fame.
- 2006 – The American Accounting Association awarded Prof Robert Kaplan with the Lifetime
- Contribution Award for distinguished contributions to advancing the Management Accounting Profession.
- 2008 – The Institute of Management Accountants awarded him for distinguished contributions to advancing the management accounting profession.
BRG Progress Conference – Professor Robert Kaplan
Strategy Execution | Balancing Risk, Finance, People & Projects for Execution Success.
07h30 Registration & Refreshments
08h15 Welcome – Nicola Tyler | CEO Business Results Group
08h30 Session 1 | STRATEGY EXECUTION PART 1:
Selecting your Strategy and Developing your Strategy Map and Balanced Scorecard with Appropriate Objective & Subjective Metrics
- Introduction & overview of the Kaplan-Norton Strategy Execution System
- STAGE 1: Selecting your Strategy
- Reaffirm your mission, values & vision
- Apply strategy analysis to your current status quo: PESTEL, SWOT & Five Forces
- Develop you 50 word strategy statement to encompass your Vision, Advantage & Scope
- STAGE 2: Developing your Strategy Map & Balanced Scorecard
- Translating your Vision, Advantage & Score strategy statement into customer objective & measures
- Identify & apply Strategic Themes as the foundation for your map & scorecard
- Selecting relevant KPI’s for your Balanced Scorecard with an appropriate mix of objective & subjective metrics
10h30 Mid-morning Refreshments
11h00 Session 2 | STRATEGY EXECUTION PART 2:
Aligning Organisational Units, Operational Improvements & your Office of Strategy Management for Agile Change Defined by Competitive Volatility
- STAGE 3: Aligning organisational units & your employees to the strategy
- Corporate-level strategy for conglomerates & organisations with diverse business units
- Cascading the corporate strategy map to business & support units
- Creating buy-in from local business units to your Balanced Scorecard approach
- Aligning local strategies to corporate strategy
- Communicating your strategy to employees – with a 7 x 7 communication plan
- Linking employee incentives to required strategic performance
- STAGE 4: Ensuring operational improvements are aligned to serve your strategic priorities
- Drive day-to-day continuous improvement with visible operational dashboards to show continuous improvement
- STAGE 5 & 6: Applying 3 techniques to ensure your strategy is sustained
- Conducting regular meeting to review, guide & adapt as may be required
- Respond to dynamic and volatile competitive conditions with agility & speed
- Leverage the Office of Strategy Management with defined roles & organisational structure
14h00 Session 3 | A NEW FRAMEWORK FOR MANAGING ENTERPRISE RISK and the tension that exists between Risk Management & Strategy:
Matching your Approach to the Nature of the Threats you Face
- Reviewing private & public sector risk failures
- Managing the multiple dimensions of risk
- Preventable risk
- Strategy risk
- External risk
- Practical guidelines for implementing risk in diverse organisational contexts to create a Risk Event Scorecard & Risk Report Scorecard
- Quantifying the likelihood & magnitude of strategic risks
- Developing a Key Risk Indicator Scorecard of leading possible indicators
- Selecting & funding risk initiatives
- Applying “creative paranoia” to envision risk from external uncontrollable & previously unimagined risk
- Defining the role of the Chief Risk Officer & Office of Risk Management & assigning accountability
15h00 Afternoon Refreshments
15h15 Session 4 | PROJECT PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT & STRATEGY EXECUTION:
Tackling the Management Challenges that inhibit Project Portfolio Success with a robust Project Initiative Process
- Project initiative challenges frequently experienced & the consequences of these challenges
- Using Balanced Scorecard & Strategy Map techniques to address the problems
- Bridging the gap between the strategy & the operational understanding of front-line employees & line managers
- Getting started: Using a deliberate method to assess initiatives to start the selection process by matching existing initiatives with strategic priorities on the following criteria
- Strategic fit & benefit
- Organisational capability & risk
- Resource demands
- Put your strategy into action with 4 Essential Strategic Initiatives
- Assess & rank strategic initiatives in terms of priorities
- Select portfolios of initiatives by theme
- Develop the funding solution for strategic initiatives – differentiating spend according to CAPEX or STRATEX
- Organise the implementation of strategic initiative “Theme Teams” & the “Project Management Office
- Closing the gap by embedding project portfolio work into your strategy
16h15 In a Nutshell – Panel Discussion facilitated by Nicola Tyler: Q & A Session with Professor Robert Kaplan
17h00 Close of Proceedings
PREVIEW OF 2015 HIGHLIGHTS
- Aligning Project Management & Enterprise Risk Management for Effective Strategy Execution
- The 5 Stages of the Kaplan-Norton Strategy Execution System to co-create shared value. Latest findings, techniques and success stories
- Selecting and developing your strategy
- Developing your Strategy Map and Balanced Scorecard with appropriate metrics and funding solutions
- Aligning organisational units and employees with effective communication and incentive plan
- Ensuring operational improvements serve your priorities
- Applying 3 techniques to ensure your strategy maintains momentum and is sustained
- Discover a NEW framework to balance the multiple dimensions of enterprise risk with appropriate accountability and required agility
- Project portfolio management and strategy execution alignment to ensure you spend the right money on the right projects with the correct selection and implementation process
- Strategic fit and benefit
- Organisational capability and risk
- Resource demands
All C Suite Executives, Leaders, Managers and High Potential Future Managers from the Private and Public Sectors responsible for:
- Technology & Information
- Performance Measurement
- Management Accounting & Auditing
- Supply Chain Management
- Human Resources
- Human Capital
- HR Business Partnering
- Talent Management
- Employee Communications
- Organisational Design
- Remuneration & Compensation
- Employee Engagement & Wellbeing
- Transformation & Change
- Learning & Development
- Succession Planning
- Line Management
Terms & Conditions
Payment | The organisers reserve the right to refuse admission unless proof of payment is received prior to the event.
Team & Corporate Special Offers | Discounts for teams and corporates only apply where the delegates have registered simultaneously.
Cancellations | For cancellations received in writing more than 8 weeks prior to the event a 50% refund will be given. Thereafter the full fee is payable.
Substitutions | Registered delegates may be substituted at any time prior to the event at no charge. Please notify our offices in writing.
Confirmation | All registrations will be deemed confirmed and subject to these terms and conditions.
Preferential Seating | Delegates will be seated on a first-paid – first seated basis.
In the event of unforeseen circumstances the organisers reserve the right to change the dates and/or venue.
Find your picture from the Progress Conference with Robert Kaplan.
In 2012, Professor Kaplan presented a sell-out event with over 500 South African Public & Private Sector Executives attending the one day BRG Progress Conference programme in Johannesburg. This is what they had to say:
“Fascinating viewpoint on strategy & theory on execution.”
Robert Pearse People Solution Manager ALEXANDER PROUDFOOT
“Well prepared, good content & thought provoking.”
Rob Erasmus Managing Director SANITECH
“Superb knowledge of the subject matter. Holistic & practical.”
Nick Favager Africa Merchandise Manager MASSBUILD
“Helps indeed to open the mind & look at organisations as open & integrate systems whose survival depends on several internal & external factors.”
Alberto Alves Banze Strategic Planning Professional BANCO DE MOCAMBIQUE
“Professor Kaplan has a wealth of knowledge which we look forward to applying in Stanlib’s strategy team.”
Jacqui Borella Strategy PMO STANLIB WEALTH
“He is the father of Strategy.”
Mangadi Dikotla Finance Director AFRIC OIL
“Amazing insights into areas of Strategic Management. Very practical case studies.”
Nandini Dhar CEO CONSILIUM TECHNOLOGIES
“His passion & energy is inspiring.”
Johan Gray Business Strategist GATEWAY
“A complete end-to-end system. Covered all the bases.”
John Gaydon Head of Performance Management STANDARD BANK
“A cycle through the ecosystem & tools bring great clarity.”
Warren Hero Chief Information Officer EDU-LOAN
“An encyclopaedia of data, experience & cases to deliberate on.”
Francis Masukusa Operations Director ZIMNAT LION ASSURANCE
“Professor Kaplan presents very interesting views on the measurement of performance & the impact thereof on strategy implementation. Intriguing.”
Yoliswa Morrison Business Improvement Analyst ABSA
“Very insightful presentation that highlights the importance of creating sustainable companies.”
Randy Ntosoko Manager Business Planning CITY POWER
“He provided good insight into scorecard principles. He is loaded with wisdom.”
Wendy-Anne Naidoo Head of Human Resources Momentum
“Brilliant presenter, dynamic, highly knowledgeable & motivating. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to & watching him today.”
Shelley Pather Director Compliance DEPT OF PUBLIC ENTERPRISE
“His experience makes concepts practical.”
Tjaart Minaar Group Managing Director OIM GROUP
“It was both provocative & inspiring.”
Siphokazi Ngcuthuse Strategic Support CIPC
Ashok Thakur CEO MAHINDRA SA
“He is always passionate about his subject & that combined with his knowledge makes this a very educational & well put together event.”
Colleen Williams Sales Ops Manager HEWLETT PACKARD
“Extremely professional & insightful. This day has reinvigorated my natural style of questions, challenges & provokes thought & drives communication of strategy through the organisation.”
Theresa Walton General Manager ENVIROSERV
“Was great to reconnect with original thought & share in new insights. Disciplined application of the wisdom now becomes key.”
Daleen van Zyl Organisational Development FIRST NATIONAL BANK
“Lots of material, interesting & well covered. I love the passion of Professor Kaplan who brought it to life.”
Sandra Galver Strategic Consultant MERCHANTS SA
“I would do it all over again & I wish some of my colleagues could get the opportunity to experience same.”
Mandisa Monsi General Manager Risk TRANSNET
“Quite phenomenal. I am glad I took the time to listen to Professor Kaplan.”
Sbu Sithole City Manager ETHEKWINI MUNICIPALITY
“The event was very beneficial & educative. One understands strategy better.”
Elizabeth Mathe Chief Internal Auditor NATIONAL BARGAINING COUNCIL
MAKE THE MOST OF OUR EARLY BIRD SPECIALS
BOOK and PAY before 3 July 2015 | SAVE R1,000 per participant
- Individual Delegates [1 – 4 People] at R 6 995 per person excl. VAT
- Team Bookings [5 – 9 People] at R 6 495 per person excl. VAT
- Corporate Bookings [10 or more People] SAVE R20 000 ONLY R 5 995 per person excl. VAT
BOOK and PAY before 5 August 2015 | Save R500 per participant
- Individual Delegates [1 – 4 People] at R 7 495 per person excl. VAT
- Team Bookings [5 – 9 People] at R 6 995 per person excl. VAT
- Corporate Bookings [10 or more People] SAVE R 15 000 ONLY R 6 495 per person excl. VAT
BOOK and PAY after 5 August 2015
- Individual Delegates [1 – 4 People] at R 7 995 per person excl. VAT
- Team Bookings [5 – 9 People] at R 7 495 per person excl. VAT
- Corporate Bookings [10 or more People] SAVE R 10 000 ONLY R 6 995 per person excl. VAT
Contact: Angela Milburn | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Cell: 0833271593 | Phone: 0861247328
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Points are awarded by CIMA for delegates attending this event