Richard Koch is an internationally acclaimed author, speaker, strategist, investor and entrepreneur.
A former management consultant and partner with Bain and Company and co-author of the 80/20 Principle, Richard Koch went into business on his own when at 33 he co-founded LEK Consulting. The firm was said to be the most successful strategy boutique in the 1980’s expanding from 3 to 350 professionals during the six years Richard was there. LEK had several offices in the US, Europe and Asia. In line with the advice it dispensed it not only grew very fast but was extremely profitable.
Million Pound Investment Success
When Richard ‘retired’ at age 40, he had enough money to fund the start-up and expansion of several new ventures. These included Filofax, Belgo, Plymouth Gin, Capstone and Betfair and have returned 5 – 53 times his original equity stake. Although he was not part of the management team his cash came along with his counsel on strategy.
Proactive Speaker Back In Action
During his years as a management consultant Richard was renowned for “going-over-the-top” with his presentations. The Boston Consulting Group wrote in an appraisal that Richard was like a “volcano” which was mainly working under control but occasionally “erupted” in hard-to-predict ways. Richard believes that a presentation can’t be effective unless it was exciting.
Over the recent years Richard has only given occasional keynote addresses, however he has recognised that writing books is not the only way to spread the word and has committed to deliver one major presentation a month. Lucky to select the 20% of events and people with whom he likes to work we are privileged to be on his preferred list.
07h30 – Registration and Early Morning Refreshments
08h30 – Welcome and Opening Remarks – Introducing Richard Koch
08h45 – Session 1 | Illustrating The Value Of 80/20 Thinking
Lessons learned from business the world over
- The Pareto Principle – As evidenced by economists and business strategists
How 20% of causes deliver 80% of the results.
- 20% – Customers | Products | People | Services |
- 80% – Productivity | Profits | Performance |
- The impact of the digital world [95/1 or 99/1] – results to date and latest findings.
10h00 – Mid Morning Refreshments
10h30 – Session 2 | Applying 80/20 Thinking With 10 Different Ways to be An 80/20 Manager and Leader | Delivering extraordinary results through your team and your deliberate efforts
- Why this matters. How these 10 ways can make you a connected, effective and successful manager and leader.
- Introducing the 10 different ways for managers and leaders to achieve success:
- The Investigator
- The Superconnector
- The Mentor
- The Lever
- The Liberator
- The Meaning Seeker
- The Time Rich Manager and Leader
- The Simplifier
- The “Lazy” Manager and Leader
- The Strategist
12h30 – Lunch
14h00 – Session 3 | Q & A with Nicola Tyler | CEO | Business Results Group and Richard Koch
SPECIAL FEATURE: How the 80/20 principle has contributed to your extraordinary entrepreneurial success. In 2010 – Tom Peters said, “The future for South Africa’s economy is for South Africa to have enough entrepreneurs waking up every morning wanting to start a business or grow the business they already have.” This Q & A is designed to illustrate how entrepreneurs inside and outside of large business can achieve extraordinary results as 80/20 managers and leaders.
14h30 – Session 4 | Part 1 | The Investigator – Which Products or Customers are our Super Profitable?
- What differentiates our core customers from the others?
- How to isolate the small number of most profitable customers in your business.
- How to isolate the biggest problem customers in your business.
- Which are your most profitable product lines?
- Investigation techniques to determine the most profitable and the least profitable
- Who are your most profitable people and resources?
- Identifying & acknowledging the people and resources that deliver the most value to your business.
Session 4 | Part 2 | The Super Connector – Establishing the criteria that help you to select the people who add the most value to your success
- Super-connectors – lessons to learn
- Becoming a super-connecting manager
- Embracing diversity – the strength of weak links.
- Connecting diverse people across social gulfs.
- Deriving value from your super connections.
15h45 – Afternoon Refreshments
16h00 – Session 5 | The Leveraged Manager and Leader – Seven Levers for Great Results
- Caring and the subconscious – vital clues for breakthroughs.
- Confidence – how to generate a super-positive force-field, life-saving energy, impossibility-defying ingenuity.
- Ideas – Finding the 80/20 ideas that deliver much more for less – more performance, comfort, satisfaction and delight with less energy, materials, labour and time.
- Decisions – How to exert leverage with courageous, counterintuitive and unprecedented decisions.
- Trust – Building trust through output focus.
- People – Surrounding yourself with “A” People.
- Money – Applying entrepreneurial insights to achieve growth and success.
17h00 – Closing Remarks | Professor Walter Baets | UCT GSB
Richard has authored and co-authored around 20 books dealing with business, ideas and personal success. Roger Trapp of The Independent had this to say. “Koch is someone worth listening to, because of his own success as an entrepreneur and consultant.”
The 80/20 Principle published in 1997 and updated in 2007 has become a business classic, being named by GQ as one of the top 25 business books of all time.
The book [The 80/20 Principle] has now sold over a million copies, and been translated into 34 languages.
Eagerly awaited and due to be published in April 2013 by Little Brown is the 80/20 Manager, written to help leaders achieve extraordinary results with less energy and effort.